BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dolly Rocket!! Just in case you didnt know!

Q: What is your biggest accomplishment?

A: I’m pretty proud that I’ve been playing since 2004 and have never really gone through a terrible slump. My play has always been consistent, and I feel like I’ve always been on a trajectory of improvement, however modest and slow. I believe true accomplishment comes with consistency, not moments of greatness.

Q: What is your biggest challenge?

A: As a derby player, maintaining motivation! You can try to rely on your teammates for drive, but at the end of the day, it has to come from within. It’s difficult season after season to rediscover those reasons to keep pushing yourself, but when you do it’s really rewarding.

Q: Do you have a motto you go by?

A: Haters Gonna Hate.

Q: What is your motivation?

A: Honestly? Perfection. I really want to have that perfect game where everything comes together. I think I’ve had glimpses of that throughout my career individually and with my team, but I’ve yet to have that really perfect game. I also enjoy the preparation, competition and rituals of derby.


Q:
Have you had any injuries?

A: Fortunately nothing serious yet. Shin splints, hematomas, pulled muscles, that’s it. I did need a cortisone shoot in my foot a few years ago for a serious bone bruise.

Q: If so how long were you out for?

A: Don’t think I’ve ever taken more than a month off of roller derby at any given time since 2004…..

Q: What is your wheel of choice?

A:
D-RODS By Atom Wheels!

Q: Why do you like those wheels so much?

A: D-Rods afford the perfect amount of grip and slip to be able to skate on most surfaces. I can stop short without feeling any tweak in my joints, and I can grip tight around turns. They are also really light, so they help with my footwork and agility. Plus, the black and white looks slick on my skates.

Q: How did you get started in roller derby?

A: I played sports my entire life, volleyball, hockey, lacrosse, softball, basketball. I went to an art & design college in Providence, RI, and they didn’t offer any extra curricular sports, and by my sophomore year, I was really itching for something physical to do other than like, paint in my underwear. I saw a flyer in my cafeteria and thought “...hey, that sounds more interesting than doing Brown intramurals lacrosse this spring”, and tried out. It was one of the most challenging sports I’ve ever played, so I stuck around.

Q: Derby is a full contact sport and it’s very taxing on your body. Will you be playing roller derby until your body says it has had enough, or do you have a retirement plan?

A: I started playing derby right when I turned 18. I’m 25 now, and just starting to feel the effects of the last several seasons on my body. My league is playing more and more games; opponents are getting better and stronger. I’ve started scheduling rest weeks into my training regimen to slow the process of eventual wheelchair-dom, and cross training with low impact activities like cycling and yoga. I’d like to hope that I stop this madness before anything too serious happens to me, fingers crossed!

Q: What are your plans after you retire from roller derby?

A: Focus more on my career, lead a much healthier lifestyle where I have time to cook my meals consistently and go to bed at a reasonable hour, and travel to actually see the places I’m in, rather than whirlwind derby trips. I’ve also had an idea for a graphic novel in the back of my head for a while that I’ve sketched out, but just haven’t had the time and energy to put together.

Q: What do you do for a living?

A: I’m a multimedia designer at a museum in Baltimore. I shoot and edit our monthly educational videos, design our exhibits, take care of all of our marketing pieces and am the general go-to person for all of the museum’s design needs. I also do freelance design & illustration on the side whenever I can find the time.

Q: How do you juggle life and derby?

A: Poorly?
It’s really hard when you are dating and living with someone who loves derby as much as you do. You wind up talking about it a lot. You just have to find activities that you like to do that don’t revolve around derby and try to schedule them into your week. I also have a no derby emails on the weekends rule to keep me sane. Saying no to some extra-curricular derby opportunities will help you realize there is more to you than just the skating, and reminds you there are other things in life. It’s hard to do because it’s so fun, but you don’t want to lose touch with yourself, your family and other friends for the sake of skating.

Q: What is it about roller derby that you love the most?

A: I’ve learned a lot playing derby. Not just about the sport, but myself, people and what makes them tick, and the world in general. I started so young; I feel like I grew up playing derby, it was basically “The School of Life” for me. I am really thankful to the sport and its founders for being able to have that opportunity, as I would probably be a ginormous immature mess without it; more than I am right now, anyway.

Q: Do you partake in any other sports?

A: Not currently, but I used to play lacrosse, volleyball, hockey, basketball & softball. I opted out of applying for college scholarships for lacrosse to go to art school instead. Now I just ride my bike when I can and do yoga, though I don’t think I would classify those as sports since I don’t compete doing them.

Q: How often do you practice?

A: 2-5 days a week, usually I hit 3 or 4.

Q: Do you do any outside training besides roller derby practice?

A: I go to group personal training sessions that focus on cardio, strength & agility 2-3 days a week, try to hit a yoga class at least once a week and go for a bike ride 1 or 2 days a week.

Q: Who is you biggest inspiration?

A: I’m a ginormous Kathleen Hanna fan, and basically live my life by the rule: If Kathleen Hanna thinks its cool, then do it. I sent her fan mail when I was a kid, hahahaha

Q: Have you always been an athlete or is roller derby your first sport?

A: I played a lot of team sports as a kid. I needed that group mentality to push me through; I didn’t think I could ever be an individual sport player. Playing derby though, I had to learn how to get myself through a speed skating practice, and have since learned the joys of individual sports.

Q: After party drink of choice?

A: Depends on how the game went… Either a big glass of water (well), or a nice cold beer (not so well). I used to be more of an after-partier and could dance until the cows came home, but now I’m an old fart and I get tired and have to go home.

Q: Do you have a ritual that you do before a game?

A: For home games, Saturday is often my only day to sleep in, so I’ll wake up around 10, make brunch, go shopping (usually at the comic book store) and get to the arena for set up early. I like to do a good off-skates warm-up with a light jog and some agility work before I put my skates on. Then I get one of my teammates to punch me in the stomach and I’m good to go!
For away games, I just try to be as easy as possible and do whatever my captain tells me to.

Q: Do you have a song that pumps you up before a game?

A: Gravy Train – You Make Me Nervous

Q: What is your favorite Derby position?

A: Pivot!

Q: Who is your favorite roller derby player of all time?

A: Other than myself you mean? * Brushes off shoulders *
In no particular order: Joy Collision, Psychobabble, Atomatrix, Femme Fatale (the OG) & Sparkle Plenty.

Thank you for your time Dolly! - Atom Wheels























































































































1 comments:

Erin said...

Great interview, it's the first one I've read where someone has said their favorite position is pivot, so that's refreshing.
I just thought I'd throw this link out there in case Dolly Rocket doesn't know that one of the announcers think she's the best mind in roller derby.
http://derbygirlsblog.com/2011/07/27/reverend-al-mightys-favorites-the-jam-that-never-happened-by-erin/